The Bomber Blaze

The Bomber Blaze

AP Summertime Recognition

Alexis Pallotta, Staff Writer

AP courses are arduous, and comparable to college course standards, each culminating in a rigorous exam that provides willing and academically prepared students the opportunity to earn college credit. Although 72 Westfield High School students took the Advanced Placement English Literature and Composition exam, only 10 students received a score of 5, demonstrating they are extremely well qualified for college courses. These 10 students received visits from members of the ELA Department at Westfield High School this past summer.

These exemplary students were: Seniors Jonathan Huntley, Katie Knapik, and Anoushka Sharma, and Juniors Alex Flagg, Jason Gustafson, Liz Hoffmann, Amelia McNeice, Zach Medeiros, Alex Natario, and Kristen Stawasz.

On July 9, 2017, Patricia LeClair (English supervisor), Jennafer Souders-Gauthier (AP Literature teacher), and Jill Keenan (AP Language teacher) went to the students’ homes with signs to recognize their sedulous effort.

Keenan said, “It’s important as a school that we recognize academics. To go to everyone’s houses was a good half of a day. To get the signs made was a lot of effort as well. We probably
spent about four or five hours on a Saturday.”

Westfield High School Senior Kristen Stawasz said, “It was so meaningful that the English department teachers went out of their way to recognize our achievement.”

Westfield High School’s 2017-2018 Program of Study states that in AP English Language and Composition “Students will become skilled readers focusing on rhetorical devices, modes, and
strategies. Writing will consist of analytical essays… and encompass essays and articles written by the student…” Students will read and analyze at least ten works of fiction, poetry, and short stories. Some of these literature works covered are “Heart of Darkness”, “Pride and Prejudice”, and “King Lear”.

When asked what made the students who earned a 5 different from those who didn’t, Mrs.Keenan said it entailed, “The mastery of a subject area. Some of it’s luck and a certain amount of effort into the class paid off and natural ability.”

ELA Department Head Patricia LeClair, and AP teachers Jill Keenan and Jennafer Gauthier praise AP achievements.

The College Board distributes the AP English Literature and Composition three hour exam. It consists of multiple-choice questions, free-response prompts, and poetry tests. The first section, is 55 multiple-choice questions in one hour. The second section, is three free responses in two hours. The third section, is a literary analysis of a given poem.