The Bomber Blaze

The Bomber Blaze

Westfield Girls Lacrosse

Hannah Jarvis, Staff Writer

The 2017 girls lacrosse spring season was one for the books. The team recorded their first playoff win, they were number one in their league, with a winning season (14-4 overall, 8-0 in their league) and went down as the best team to go through Westfield High School this far.

The team started off the season adding five new freshman to their roster. Three out of the five freshmen put up points in more than five games (Mackenzie Liptak, Olivia Hadla, and Jordan Kowalski). The other two freshmen (Liz Clark, Kyana Alvarado) are both apart of the defense. Kyana Alvarado started on defense almost every game; whereas Liz Clark was a huge impact player as a freshman. She was one of two goalies who use to split half times with our other senior goalie. Next year she expects to see full games.  

One of the biggest losses for the 2018 season, is former captain, 2017 graduate Olivia Chaoush. She was a huge impact on the mid field, averaging at least one goal every game. Although that may have potential to hurt the team, there are two varsity players returning coming off of injury who will be huge players to gain. Lexi Wood who is coming off of an ACL injury and Hannah Bean who is coming off of a shoulder injury. Both play midfield.

Westfield is also returning their top scorer,  senior Hannah Jarvis. She is lead point scorer in the Pioneer Valley League, leading in goals, assists and overall points. In recent interview with freshman goalie, Liz Clark. “This 2018 season will be one for the books, mark my words.” “We have new talent coming up with the upcoming freshman class and with all the returning players we will be back better than ever.”

The team ran the table in their league last year. They went 8-0, defeating East Longmeadow the defending league champs.  East Longmeadow had repeated winning the league title for the last three seasons (2014, 2015, and 2016.) Both games were only were only won by a point or two. For the past few years there has been a rivalry between the two teams, where Westfield always came short losing by a point or two.

“I know how hard everyone works. I know how bad everyone wants it this year.” “If we all put in the time and effort I know this year will be the best one yet.” Said Clark.

With graduating seven seniors but returning 16 players, plus two who are coming back from suffering major injury; this team has some high expectations.