More Than a Text

Megan Heath, Staff Writer

Netflix seems to be the new movie theaters for teens these days. Many Netflix original movies have recently been released. One was currently released August 17, 2018 called To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before directed by Susan Johnson (“Carrie Philby”). “The movie is rather unique,” stated Westfield High School senior Gabrielle Tyler. The way the time of events played out was just enough to keep me on my toes. Although it was a typical love story where you most likely could predict the ending, it had a totally different plot compared to other romance movies.

The main character Lara Jean Covey, played by Lana Condor, wrote five love letters and addressed each to a different house, but never intended to mail them. They were more there for herself. Later on her younger sister sent them out, but with good intentions. Lara didn’t want the boys she addressed the letters for to know how she truly felt about them. It was simply too embarrassing and could also hurt other people important to her, if they had found out also. The letters were her way of expressing her emotions without having to actually confront the person.

Since the movie was released, lots of love was being shown for the main male character Peter Kavinsky, played by Noah Centineo. This is the boy Lara Jean ended up dating. Centineo has been in multiple movies and played in the popular TV series The Fosters. I question why the hype for Centineo has just started now, since he has been on TV for quite awhile, but acting in both The Fosters and To All The Boys I Loved was great. Kavinsky is very well known for his famous line “Whoa Whoa Whoa” throughout the movie, and all the girls seem to love it.

The movies soundtrack included the popular song “I Like Me Better With You” by Lauv. I think it was a excellent pick for the movie. It fit well with the theme and was a song many teenagers know of and enjoy.

The movie took place in high school, which helps it connect with many teens. The move Sierra Burgess is a Loser, was similar to this movie in some ways. Sierra Burgess is a Loser was Centineo’s second most recent movie. In this movie his acting wasn’t quite the same. It was less believable and overall not that great. Again, this movie also took place in high school and included the mean popular girl most movies like these have.

A second movie that is relatable is The Kissing Booth. It has also blown up on social media just like To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before and the main character in this movie has also become very popular amongst many teen girls. This movie didn’t have the “mean girl” but it had the jealous brother which kind of took place of that role.

The movie was unique compared to other movies. The idea of letters brings it back to the olden days rather than just sending a text like we all do nowadays. At times the movie also changed perspectives from character to character, allowing a better understanding of the different personalities displayed throughout the movie. Not many movies do this, so it was interesting to watch. It was a modern movie with a hint of a classic vibe.

When asked if the movie was a good recommendation to others Tyler responded,

“Yes, it’s upbeat and fun.”

I couldn’t agree more and believe many others would think the same.