What We Have All Been Dying to Know

"Stranger Things" Season 3

Kaitlyn Phillips, Staff Writer

Stranger Things; one of the most top rated (and binge-watched) series on Netflix. Luckily for us, the creators of the show Matt and Ross Duffer, announced the filming of Season 3 has commenced. On social media we have been teased with trailers, clips, and photos posted by various contributors to the show. Netflix confirms that the entire season will be released in the summer of 2019.

Season one released July 15, 2016, and set in the 80s, introduced us to the basics of the storyline, the Upside Down. We meet the main characters, Mike (Finn Wolfhard), Dustin (Gaten Matarazzo), Lucas (Caleb McLaughlin), and their friend Will (Noah Schnapp) who went missing. Along comes a strange girl (Millie Bobby Brown) who runs into the group while they are looking for Will. They discover her tattoo of the number 11 on her arm and call her Eleven, or El for short. Discovering that she is connected to the Upside Down and the Hawkins Laboratory, Eleven aids the group in finding Will, recovering him from the horrors of the Demogorgon, the monster that rules the Upside Down.            

Season 2 starts off on Halloween, 1984 (cue ‘Ghostbusters’ theme song), and Will seems to be back to his old self despite the horrible, and what seems to be painful and disturbing flashbacks of the Upside Down. Will explains to his mother Joyce (Winona Ryder) that they are not flashbacks but insights and he realizes that he is still connected to this horrible place.     

Meanwhile, Mike’s sister Nancy (Natalia Dyer) and Steve (Joe Keery) have their differences. Here we start to see a different side of Nancy and Steve and their roles are developed more, as well as Jonathan (Charlie Heaton), Will’s brother. We even start to see a different side of Eleven who is on house arrest by Hopper (David Harbor), the local Sheriff. We discover more about Hopper’s daughter and we see the protective dad side of him when he takes Eleven in and kind of shelters her. We meet new characters such as Kali (Linnea Berthelsen) also known as Eight, Max (Sadie Sink), and her older brother Billy (Dacre Montgomery). Oh and let’s not forget about Dart! Later on Eleven is reunited with the group at the Snowball Dance but the Demogorgon is looming over Hawkins Middle School.  

Now what we have all been waiting for. Season 3 of “Stranger Things”. The executive producer Shawn Levy states that, “It’ll be an eight or nine episode season.” The teaser trailer shows that this season we enter Hawkins in summer. We see Steve Harrington working at Scoops Ahoy, an ice cream parlor at the Starcourt Mall. Steve is next to a new character, Robin (Maya Hawke), another employee at Scoops Ahoy. Starcourt Mall is presented as the spot to be this summer. A lot of stores and food and clothing are advertised. I asked David Carrasquillo, a Junior at Westfield High School, what his thoughts were about the teaser trailer, “I’m honestly confused. The teaser trailer showed a place for people to gather around. Perhaps that can be a huge place to host people through the use of the Upside Down? I don’t know. A place where a lot of people are around and the Upside Down is not a good mix.”

Let’s speculate on what’s to come of this season. I’m particularly interested in this Starcourt Mall. I get a somewhat sinister feel from watching this trailer, that something is just not right. It is a commercial-type video with classic 80s retro background music. Could this mall be connected to the Upside Down and Hawkins Laboratory? Not only do we have this mall to ponder on but new characters as well. New blooming relationships? More character development? David believes his favorite character Mike, “will become more mature and he’ll learn more about love and responsibility since he is entering adulthood.” We know now that there are more than one characters like Eleven and the Upside Down is only getting bigger and spreading faster. It seems like the show can only get better and more complicated from here. Hopefully this means that Stranger Things will not end after season 3.        

We have a lot to look forward to for Stranger Things season 3. A lot has happened in the previous Seasons which guarantees for exciting and interesting episodes to come. The coming of age focus is going to be completely different than what we are used to and I can’t wait to see what happens!